Know the Real hawOo...

Welcome to my very own blogspot. Well, enjoy!

Note:
All entries in this blog are not copy-pasted unless specified. It's what I think of them and I see of them. Any resemblance to any sites is not intended by the Administrator. Thank you.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Movie Buff Me 2: First Five Favorite Local Movie Lines

As promised, I’ll be writing my favorite and remembered local movie lines so as not to patronize discrimination in my own blogspot. But I have to admit, of course, that I prefer foreign films than our very own simply because I find them more substantial. By substantial, I mean, the storyline, casting, acting quality, special effects, twists, and, of course, graphics. But, of course, over the years, local films are transforming from bad, to good, to better and can actually be in line with foreign movies. Bravo!
So, without further ado (as always said during introductions of someone or something, but they actually furthering ado just by saying it), I give you another 20 lines that sure are still encrypted in my delicate memory. These, once again, are randomly chosen. No ranking, for short.

Dig in.

1. “Kung ganyan ka ng ganiyan, lahat ng nagmamahal sa’yo, tinataboy mo, hindi ka magiging masaya.”
-Rosalie from the movie “Ang Pulubi at ang Prinsesa”

**This line sure was filled with emotions when young Rosalie said it. She was actually crying. Me, too, I guess. The ‘Prinsesa’ named Nica was saying bad things to her and literally knocking off the food Rosalie politely offered her. What a spoiled brat. Doesn’t even know how to say ‘Hey, thank you for saving my life over those kidnapping good-for-nothing pips. I owe a lot you!”. And that makes me mad! *<clenched teeth>*. Well, as they say, and I say, too, good antagonists make their viewers hate them and actually curse them. I guess Nica was a good ‘bad girl’. You see, in the movie, Nica was kidnapped by a syndicate operating in kidnapping and making the poor kids roam around the town begging for money and eventually issuing the collected alms to them. In this case, Nica wasn’t a part of it. She was kidnapped for ransom. Nica is, of course, a ‘Prinsesa’, so, she is wickedly rich. Rosalie, on the other hand, was sold by her money-drooling aunt (I’m not exactly sure that was her aunt) to the syndicate. Oh, by the way, Rosalie was also looking for her long lost mom. So, while at syndicate’s cruel hands, Nica was held captive, forced to eat foods that, in her standards, were not foods, at all. When the police came, things got worse (that’s one thing local moive police got in common: making things worse), a guy aimed a shot on Nica but Rosalie heroically jumped in between Nica and the speeding bullet and got shot instead. Good thing was, she was just hit in her arm. And the hit was what they call ‘daplis lang’. But, despite all these, Nica remained evil! Until, of course, the sudden change of heart that took place later in the movie. What an ungrateful little girl.

2. “Kayo…”
-Winona from the movie “My Only U”.

A Funny movie. And quite sad, too. I remember myself shedding a tear when I watched this movie. Anyways, Winona said this line after being freed from the unsuccessful scheme of Bong and his friends to let her stay at home all day. You see, when Winona woke up one morning, there was no electricity, no gas, no nothing. And their door was artistically blocked by nailed pieces of woods. Only to protect her from any possible cause of death. I’ll make it clear, Winona’s ancestry way back from Jurassic period, didn’t manage to live their lives to the fullest. No one, I say no one, in her family tree, reached the age of 25. And a day before her 25th birthday, Bong planned to imprison her in her own room so as to avoid any ‘Final-Destination-like’ cause of death. But, obviously, it didn’t work. And Winona didn’t like it, too. And she also added that if they keep on doing things like that, they are actually reminding her of her doom!

3. “Sheryosho ka ba?”
-Oprah from the movie “Bulong”

One thing I like about local movies is its bravery in mixing two entirely different genres with still having its sense of seriousness in its storyline. In this case, HORROR and COMEDY mixed. Sure I did have the strangest opportunity to come across movies like Scary Movie 1, 2, 3, and 4. But I found it so OA! They do comedy the perverted way. And everything they do is just way out of line. By ‘they’, I mean the actors in it. So, the storyline is just actually a second offering. Because they somehow focused on making the viewers laugh. And I realized, I will not consider it a mash-up between horror and comedy anymore. Because it’s just plain comedy. Bulong is different. The comedy is there, and the story is not left behind. They made it actually very interesting. Movies like this, in my opinion, should have hit the blockbuster list. So, this particular line, was delivered few minutes before the movie ended. You see, after their perilous adventure of searching for Lala, they managed to get out safe and sound, and most importantly, mission accomplished. And I guess, along the way, they finally realized they love each other. Something that’s still blurry at the first scenes of the movie. Quite a turn over, actually. So, Conan gave Oprah a ring, that I’ll-give-you-this-ring-can-i-marry-you? kind of ring. And I’d like to point out the awesomeness behind the naming of the characters. There is Conan, there is Oprah, and there is Ellen! Whoa, three of the most notable and most awarded American TV hosts!

4. “Alam mo ba? Haunted house ‘yan. Maraming ghost diyan.”
-“My Precious” from the movie “D’ Anothers’

There is nothing really special in that line when you read it your way. But it did catch my attention the other way. You see, a girl (or a hag), who I can’t remember the name but always referred to as “My precious” by the villain, said it quite peculiarly. She said ‘hoooss’ rather than saying the correct pronunciation of ‘house’. And instead of ‘ghost’, she said ‘ghoooost’. Jesus (say He-Sus), the main character in the movie (who freaked out easily on literally anything ghostly) was about to receive an inheritance in a form of a 25 million ancestral house. The problem was, this house was also a house for a lot of differently-mannered ghosts.

5. “I… never… said… that… I LOVE YOU!”
-Val from the movie “Ang Cute ng Ina Mo”

**This is one of the modernized comedies. When I say modernized, I say modernized. You must, of course, notice the significant differences on how comedy looked like before and how it is now today. In my own point of view, today’s comedies are full of exaggeration. To great effect, of course. Today’s generation’s definition of comedy goes down to EXAJ. And this movie is one of them. Here’s another thing from today’s comedy. They are fond of quoting lines from more serious movies and with comedic touch on the line, they deliver it hilariously. Now, that’s awesome. This line was delivered some time at the last part of the movie, when Val’s mother’s real daughter finally realized the wrongness of her scheme: to prove to her father that her mother is a good-for-nothing creep who loves younger guys, drinks a lot, plays extreme badminton, and puked on her. She asked for forgiveness but everything was too late, of course. I mean, not really. Local comedies always end with happy ending.

That’s five of them. And there are more to come. You just wait :D

For favorite foreign movie lines… click here.

1 comment:

I would like to know how you feel about this post. So do not be shy, feel free to comment. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.