Know the Real hawOo...

Welcome to my very own blogspot. Well, enjoy!

Note:
All entries in this blog are not copy-pasted unless specified. It's what I think of them and I see of them. Any resemblance to any sites is not intended by the Administrator. Thank you.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

ABNKKBSNPLAko?! In theaters?! Yeah! Oh, Come on!



Left to right: Vandolph Quizon, Meg Imperial, Andi Eigenmann, Jericho Rosales

Can you dig this, guys? Bob Ong’s ABNKKBSNPLAko?! Is now a movie! What the what?!?

That’s not a negative reaction, by the way. It just didn’t occur to me that the book could turn into a movie. Let me discuss this.

About many years ago, I bought the book. Along with it are four other Bob Ong books. Of course, I first read ABNKKBSNPLAko?! coz it was his first book. And I never thought that refreshment could come from reading a book. Most of times, ice-cold soda and a long nice shower refresh you. But not books. The book is a must-have for all those Filipinos who spent most of their childhood and adolescent years in a public school. Bob Ong expertly laid out his ideas in a way that everyone would relate. That’s why it was patronized by a lot of book-reading citizens of the country.

Personally, I loved the book. I could relate to everything that he said in it. And after reading the next four books (which were the only ones available at that time), I became a huge fan of Bob Ong. And so began my research about him. And then… nothing. I couldn’t find out who he was. It appears that Bob Ong himself doesn’t want to reveal his identity. Oh, well. People have different personalities, and if my idol local author wanted this, I couldn’t do anything but respect his decision. In fact, this is how Wikipedia.org described him… “Bob Ong, or Roberto Ong, is the pseudonym of a contemporary Filipino author known for using conversational Filipino to create humorous and reflective depictions of Philippine life. His actual name is unknown.”

“Bakit Baliktad Magbasa Ng Libro Ang Mga Pilipino?”, “Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas”, “Macarthur”, “Alamat ng Gubat”, “Stainless Longganisa”, and “Kapitan Sino” are among the published books of Bob Ong that I have the fortune to come across with and read. And all of them are superbly written. An intricate interwoven thread of ideas! There are two more books, actually. “Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan” and “Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin”. 

 Bob Ong really is an icon when it comes to writing. But I just didn’t think that his book would evolve and actually become a movie! And again, it’s not a bad reaction. In fact, I’m happy about it. I’m a Bob Ong fan. Having to see his book’s characters actually coming into life via a movie is something I wouldn’t miss. But let me just defend my disbelief. Bob Ong is a pretty secretive man. Making his book a movie would require his presence. Therefore his appearance. But apparently, in an interview I read in Inquirer.net, he never visit, not once, the set. So no appearance for him. And here’s the full interview… quoted from http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/148365/bob-ongs-abnkkbsnplako-is-now-a-movie. Just so you could share my happiness in everything that he said here. 

“How does it feel to have “ABNKKPSNPLAko?!” turned into a movie?
Bob Ong: Weird. Good weird.

When did you first realize that the book had made it big?
Seeing it on a best-sellers list was a good clue.

We know you were writing under a pseudonym—is there a part of you that wishes you could have used your real name, or do you enjoy the anonymity?
Enjoy might not be the best word. But no, I couldn’t see myself as a public figure.

Don’t you ever think, “Damn I wish I could go to my book launch and sign books” or “I want to tell that girl riding the MRT that she’s reading my book”?
It’s more of, “I wish I could personally hear from the people whose lives were touched by my books.” It would also be nice to hear laughter and see real smiles instead of emoticons. As for signing books, who likes that?! Yes for the second question. Oftentimes the case in bookstores.

Does your anonymity play a role in your writing process? Do you feel a bigger sense of freedom because people don’t know who you really are?
Yes. Imagine how honest and more passionate secret admirers are with their love letters. Or how savage and daring trolls are when they hurl words online without a care. Without the hurdles of reputation, we tend to be more of who we really are.

How hard or easy has it been to keep your true identity a secret? Are you surprised that people still haven’t figured it out?
It’s not that it’s hard or easy, I just find it odd that some people would trouble themselves and be bothered with who I am, yet just be OK with how things are going on in this country. Like, so my real name is Rogelio Manglicmot and I am an electrician and I look just like your uncle. How does that affect the course of your life?

Do your friends and family know that you’re Bob Ong? (Para kang superhero!)
I told my father and my best friend. I never trusted them again. <*ngiti*>

Did your desire to remain anonymous affect your involvement in the filmmaking process? What was the deal with the studio—how much power did you have over the movie and how much freedom did you give the studio in using your material?
Yes. I gave the filmmakers full creative control after putting my two cents in.

How easy was it to relinquish control?
You know that thing about having too many chefs? I’m not from show biz. I might be too idealistic and inexperienced. I didn’t want to spoil the soup.

Did you ever visit the set?
No.

Who wrote the script?
Ned Trespeces (“Jologs,” 2002). Viva put good people in the project.

Have you seen the movie? What do you think?
No, I haven’t. If we can get over the usual book-film conflict, I think the movie should be enjoyable on its own merits.

How do you feel about Jericho Rosales being cast to play you? Is there any other actor who you felt could play the role?
It’s surreal and funny to actually see a real actor play me. Jericho Rosales isn’t bad, but I was under the impression that readers actually picture me more as Christian Bale when they read the book. True story.

You’ve written a number of other books. Would you like to see any of them on the big screen, too?
Yes and no. Yes, because I wish to see “Alamat ng Gubat” on the big screen or an entirely new story that I’ll write. I just think that we have many unbelievably talented artists; that given good material, we could give Pixar a run for its money. And no, because I realized marketing a film requires an awful lot of self-pimping.

It’s been 12 years since your first book was published. How do you feel about your great success? Has it changed the way you write?
I’m no longer as “anonymous” as I used to be. Life’s been noisier. If I could take back all the good and bad, ideally I’d want only less than half of this “success.”

You’ve managed to avoid one thing that usually comes with success— fame. We’re curious to know the biggest impact that success has had on your life.
My Internet access subscription is no longer prepaid.

How did being Bob Ong change your life?
As an observer, I now have better seats from where I could see a bigger picture of the world. Life’s clearer when you see it from more than one vantage point.

What do you have in store for your fans?
There are two more movies coming. If I survive the limelight, don’t decide to quit and God wills, I should have fiction and a long overdue nonfic before the year ends.

Any tips for aspiring writers?
For best results, find your purpose.

Do you still like Comic Sans?
Not as much. My support group proved to be very helpful.

People love reading your books, but we want to know what you enjoy reading.
A decade ago, I’d say philosophy, humor and world affairs. Now I just read for research. I also have four unread books of “Wimpy Kid” and am trying to finish “The Giver” before they show the movie.”

And my respect for Bob Ong skyrocketed! You already, Bob Ong!

So Bob Ong fans, what in the world are you waiting for? Grab your friends (and few pieces of hundred-peso bill) and head over to the nearest cinema and watch the movie for yourselves! It’s still showing! And according to the man himself, two more movies are coming! Yay!


 Wait a minute. does this interview mean Bob Ong revealed himself to the interviewer? Hmmmm.

With Google, i found these. Credits to all photo owners :D






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to know how you feel about this post. So do not be shy, feel free to comment. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.