Know the Real hawOo...

Welcome to my very own blogspot. Well, enjoy!

Note:
All entries in this blog are not copy-pasted unless specified. It's what I think of them and I see of them. Any resemblance to any sites is not intended by the Administrator. Thank you.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

There is Goodness in Pokemon Games

Some people may find it childish, but I really don't care. I am so much in love with Pokemon that I wanted them to be real. Yeah, you heard me, right. I mean, uhm, you read it right? Whatever. There's nothing really wrong with too much liking for Pokemon. In fact, there are millions like me out there who drool over Pokemon.  Drool seems to be exaggerated. Uhm, how about obsessed? 

Bub that's reality. And the Internet is my witness. Just go to YouTube and you would find thousands of videos of Pokemon games walkthroughs. I, sometimes, find it useful. But I don't rely much on walkthroughs. It's just so useless playing Pokemon games if you used walkthroughs. I mean, where's the thrill, man. And, besides, Pokemon games are usually not hard to play. Just, uhm, fun and really TIME CONSUMING. There are even websites that are dedicated solely for Pokemon. Just check out PokeCommunity and Bulbapedia.

But I have to consider the monotony of the Pokemon games. You see, from Pokemon Red, Green, and Blue in the old Game Boy, to Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal in the old Game Boy Color, to Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald in the old Game Boy Advance, to Pokemon Pearl, Diamond and Platinum in the Nintendo DS, up to Pokemon Black and White in the Nintendo DS, the same things happen. It all starts with; you are at your house about to start your very own Pokemon adventure; the nearby Pokemon Professor will let you choose among the three Pokemon Starters for that region (always the same Fire, Grass, and Water types); you obtain the PokeDex and the Good Ol' Prof will ask you to complete the Dex and actually capture every Pokemon there is to capture; along the way, you will fight some villainous teams who have this we-are-the-strongest-team-in-the-world-and-no-one-can-beat-us attitude, but always end up losers (that is if your not too careful about training your Pokemon team); your task is always to go to towns and cities ahead and fight their respective Gyms and collect their Gym Badges; and when you collected the eight Gym Badges, you will go to the League and beat the Elite Four and the current Champion (who, usually, is your rival in the game); and after you beat the Elite Four, the credits will roll and you will start the game again in your house; the Pokemon Professor will now upgrade your Dex so that it will become National Dex, allowing you to record the old Pokemon's, and your task now is to complete the National Dex; beating the Elite Four usually gives you access to those places you weren't able to enter before because some guy is actually standing at the entrance preventing unqualified trainers to enter; and usually, these places, usually caves, contain legendary Pokemon.

But despite this monotony, I still played them all. Every single one of them. Including the remakes of the old Red, Green, Gold, and Silver games: Fire Red, Leaf Green, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver. It's simple. I love playing the games. And the never ending task of completing the Dex is also my never ending goal. Funny, but in every game I played, I never ever completed the Dex. For so many reasons, of course. First, there are Pokemon in one version that are not really included in that version. That's why they always release two or three versions so you could just trade with others playing the other version. And that sucks, man. And a lot hassle. Second, the other two starters that are left in the Professor's Lab (the one you didn't choose) can never be seen in the wild. Again, you have to trade. Third, there are just Pokemon that won't evolve unless traded. Pokemon's like Graveler, Onix, Machoke, Pupitar, and a lot more. So, I never had the chance to get Golem, Steelix, Machamp, and Tyranitar for myself. That really sucks too, man. Fourth, there are fossils in every regions (usually two) and you only get one 'coz the other mysteriously falls into nothingness, or there are people who guard the fossils and just give you one! I mean, why not just give everything? GRRRRRR! 

The thing is, I don't know anyone in my locality that has the same obsession as I have. So, I don't have the chance to trade. Making it impossible for me to complete the Dex. 

But, anyways, there are side quests along the journey that I enjoyed much. Taking you temporarily out from your main quest. In Johto, there is Bug Catching Contest you could actually join in to. In Hoenn, there is the Pokemon Contest, and the fun mixing of berries. In Sinnoh, the mining really is cool, and that mixing of puree-like thing (the one that goes black when the heat is uncontrolled, and actually spills if you stir it so hard, EPIC!). And all regions have Safari Zones. The very place you could have fun in capturing never-before-seen Pokemon. In other words, rare ones. Things like this break the monotony of the game. And I still haven't mentioned the other quest to defeat the villains. 

I'll just add this. I like the idea of getting to another region after defeating the Elite Four and winning the League on the region you are playing in. Just like in Pokemon Gold and Silver series. After you finished making the Elite Four look sorry for themselves, you can actually travel to Kanto. And start another journey of Gym Badges-collecting. Sadly, the only games that did not are the ones mentioned. Of course, their remakes, too. 

So, there are lot to Pokemon than meets the eye. I don't care if people find it funny for a 21 year old guy to be playing games like this. Blast it, there are 43 year old guys still into Pokemon. So, just excuse me, and mind your own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to know how you feel about this post. So do not be shy, feel free to comment. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.